The Yakima Health District (YHD) continues to monitor COVID-19 disease activity throughout the county closely. YHD provides daily COVID-19 updates for Yakima County on its website.
Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine eligibility has been expanded to children ages 5-11, and YHD mobile clinics are offering Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines to anyone 5 years and older. Youth under 18 years of age need parent or guardian consent to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
With the first confirmed case of the Omicron variant detected in the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is strengthening its recommendation on COVID-19 vaccine booster doses. Everyone ages 18 and older should get a booster shot either when they are 6 months after their initial Pfizer or Moderna series or 2 months after initial J&J vaccine. Learn more: https://bit.ly/3mrK4Z5.
YHD’s mobile clinics offer COVID-19 booster vaccinations.
Options for free, at-home COVID-19 tests
- The federal government is offering free at-home rapid COVID tests by mail.
- Washington state offers rapid COVID tests by mail.
- In addition, several community-based groups offer free, rapid COVID-19 at-home tests. It is advised that you contact groups first to check on their supply of rapid tests.
Current Public Health Recommendations
- Get vaccinated for COVID-19 as soon as possible.
- Wear a mask when in public indoor settings.
- Wear a mask when in crowded outdoor settings.
- Wash hands frequently and sanitize surfaces frequently.
- Practice social distancing.
- If an individual from a household gets infected with COVID-19, it is critical that the individual isolates at home away from all other household members.
Updates on COVID-19 and other health-related topics are also available on YHD’s Facebook page.