Beginning May 23rd, the Downtown Yakima Farmers Market (DYFM) will open each Sunday from 9 am to 1 pm at its traditional location of South 3rd Street in front of the Capitol Theatre in Downtown Yakima.
Managed by the Downtown Association of Yakima, DYFM features between 16 and 20 essential agriculture vendors, with additional spacing between vendors due to COVID-19.
The opening is possible thanks to precautions due to COVID-19. The required guidelines include:
– Single Entrance to market (north side on Yakima Avenue)
– Single Exit (south side on Chestnut)
– One-way traffic through market (southbound)
– 6-foot distancing in all areas
– No sampling or touching of product
– Vendors will select and serve your produce and products
– Market volunteers will wear gloves and wash hands regularly
– Regular sanitation of “high touch” areas
– Accessible hand sanitizing stations
Market Modifications + Altered Operations Include:
- Modified layouts to ensure 10’ between vendor booths to allow for greater circulation and distance.
- Limited market entrances to control the capacity and foot traffic during market.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be provided throughout the inside layout of the market.
- No music, entertainment, or public seating areas.
Volunteer, Staff and Vendor Responsibilities:
- All vendors, volunteers and staff are highly recommended to wear protective facemask and require gloves, separate cash and product handling, and ensure regular and proper handwashing.
- Vendors, volunteers and staff will politely ask you to keep moving so we can serve as many shoppers as possible.
- Vendors, volunteers and staff will limit the number of shoppers in front of booths at any given time.
- DYFM market staff will be assigned to conduct regular and ongoing checks for hand sanitation stations, proper bleach solutions, and sanitizing supplies in addition to our regular food safety controls.
Shopper Behavior Expectations:
Before the market:
- Make a list.
- Preorder and prepay from vendors if possible. Check here for details on pre-ordering.
- Designate one shopper per household.
- Service dogs are permitted otherwise please, please, PLEASE leave your pets at home.
- Go to the bathroom prior. We do not have public restrooms available.
- Bring reusable bags – these are permitted, but you will be the only person touching them.
- Check yourself – stay home if you are sick or if you’ve been in contact with someone who is sick.
During your market visit:
- Please be alert! The market has major modifications and there are new signs to help you move through the market.
- Do not touch the products, the vendors will help you.
- Maintain 6 feet of space at all times. This is crucial! Look for physical cues like tape, cones, chalk, and signs all around you as a reminder.
- Shop quickly and efficiently. This isn’t the time to chat. Big smiles welcome!
- Wash hands often with soap & water for at least 20 seconds especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, with at least 60% alcohol.
- We highly recommend wearing a face mask.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face in general.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then dispose of it.
Click https://downtownyakimafarmersmarket.com/ for more about the Downtown Yakima Farmers Market and guidelines due to COVID-19.