Shoreline Master Program Update
The City of Yakima is working through a Periodic Review of the Shoreline Master Program (SMP). The Shoreline Management Act requires local governments to periodically review their SMP and, if necessary, revise their master programs to:
- Assure that the new master program complies with applicable law and guidelines in effect at the time of review; and
- Assure consistency of the master program with the local government’s comprehensive plan and development regulations adopted under chapter 36.70A RCW, and other local requirements.
VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE
- WA State DOE https://ecology.wa.gov/Water-Shorelines/Shoreline-coastal-management/Shoreline-coastal-planning/Shoreline-Master-Programs
- Yakima Critical Areas Checklist
- Yakima SMP Update Periodic Review Checklist
- Yakima Planning Commission virtual study session on October 28, 2020:
How to Participate
Public outreach and engagement will be a critical part of this planning process. Due to the current stay-at-home precautions due to COVID-19, in-person community engagement opportunities will be postponed until further notice. However, there are other ways to get engaged:
- Join our virtual open house on Thursday November 12, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Register here: https://cityofyakima.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jSYuth1SQZyNw3a8O_Jizw
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (509) 575-6183 to provide comments and/or sign up to receive email announcement about this project.
- Stay tuned for more opportunities to share your perspective as this process continues
Uncertainty regarding the length of the “stay at home” restrictions to prevent the spread of Coronavirus could impact the timeline and some milestones. Once these restrictions are lifted, we will share more details about community engagement activities.