Overview of Animal Control

The City of Yakima currently has one Animal Control Officer on staff who responds to animal-related calls within the city limits of Yakima only.

For animal-related calls located outside of the city limits of Yakima, contact the Yakima County Sheriff Department non-emergency number at (509) 574-2500 or the local jurisdiction.

Animal Control Officers respond to citizen complaints regarding nuisance dogs, such as barking, running loose and keeping dogs in a nauseous, foul or offensive manner. Animal Control Officers also respond to sick and injured animals, as well as removing dead animals from streets and sidewalks. They investigate reports of animal abuse and neglect to assure the welfare of animals is being met. They respond to reports of dangerous dogs that are threatening the safety of people and their animals, and to incidents of dog bites. Animal Control Officers have the ability to charge people with violations of the Yakima Municipal Code pertaining to animals and can have violators arrested.

All animals picked up by Animal Control Officers are taken to the Yakima Humane Society of Central Washington. The Humane Society is located at 2405 W. Birchfield Rd. near the intersection of WA-24 E / Nob Hill Blvd. and S. 24th Street, just east of the Yakima Area Arboretum in Sherman Park. Please contact them for their business hours of operation at (509) 457-6854.

For barking dog complaints, the Animal Control Officer can charge the dog owner with the violation if 3 complaints are received during a 6 month period. On the 3rd complaint, a Declaration of Probable Cause must be completed by the complaining party, and the original signed form returned to the 2nd floor of City Hall, before any charges can be filed in court.