The Planning Division is here to assist you in the achievement of your personal and community development goals. We dedicate all of our professional and technical skills to the enhancement of the quality of life for every resident in our great city as we address land use and development matters.

Recent issues in Planning 

Question of the Moment

Can I establish a well on my property?

Lot Size Requirements. The Yakima Municipal Code imposes lot size requirements that must be met in order to have a well (individual water system). See the table in YMC 15.05.030(C) for these requirements.

Yakima Health District. If your lot does in fact meet the requirements in the table, you will need to contact the Yakima County Health District, who ultimately makes the decision. The Health District may determine that a larger area is necessary for the safe installation of approved water supply.

Yakima County Health District: (509) 575-4040

You may also find the resources on the Yakima County Health District’s website to be helpful in regards to wells: http://www.yakimacounty.us/340/Drinking-Water