ATTENTION – CITY HALL RE-OPENS TO THE PUBLIC JUNE 1ST, 2021
Recent Issues in Planning
- 2021 Comprehensive Plan Amendments (CPAs)
- Development of PEDESTRIAN MASTER PLAN
- Development of HOUSING ACTION PLAN
- Phase 3 Restaurant Guidelines
- SHORELINE MASTER PROGRAM Update
- CRITICAL AREAS ORDINANCE Updates
- Report of Current Planning Applications Under Review
- Public Hearing Notices
- Online Permit Center – search for application details and public notices
- I saw a yellow “land use action” sign in my neighborhood – what’s going on?
Question of the Moment
Can I build, plant, or put a fence on my property within the clear view triangle?
Purpose. The vision clearance triangle, or “clear view triangle,” indicates the areas on a property where there shall not be any obstructions that may block the driver’s view. This applies to corner lots at unsignalized intersections, as well as driveways and alleyways. The Yakima Municipal Code section addressing clearview triangles is YMC 15.05.040.
Obstructions. Items that may obstruct a motorist’s view include any plantings, fences, buildings, or anything that is erected, placed, or allowed to grow within the clear view triangle that is over 2 ½ feet tall.
Clear view triangle measurements. The clear view triangle for corner lots shall measure fifteen feet by one hundred twenty feet along the perpendicular lengths formed by three points including:
1. A point at the intersection of the extended curb lines or pavement edge/travel lanes;
2. A point measured one hundred twenty feet from the first point, forming a line along the adjacent perpendicular street curb line or pavement edge/travel lane; and
3. A point measured fifteen feet from the first point, forming a line.
For driveways and alleyways, the clear view triangle shall measure fifteen feet along the perpendicular street curb lines, pavement edge, or travel lane of the public street and fifteen feet along the driveway or alley. The third side of the triangle shall be a straight line connecting the fifteen-foot sides described above. No sign or associated landscaping shall be placed within this triangle so as to materially impede vision between the heights of two and one-half and ten feet above the centerline grade of the streets.