Addressing the City Council
The City Council welcomes input from community members during “Public Comment.”
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 emergency, all Yakima City Council meetings are conducted in person, live streamed at www.yakimawa.gov and telecast live on Y-PAC, Spectrum Cable Channel 194 or you may call in and participate virtually via Zoom.
If you want to provide public comment during a Council meeting via Zoom, you are encouraged to submit a completed Public Comment Request Form (at the bottom of this page) no later than 3:00 pm on the day of the meeting at which you intend to provide public comment. If participating via Zoom, please note the following:
- Make sure your name or phone number is visible to the Zoom host so you can be called on to address the Council – When it is your turn to speak, the host will allow you to unmute your microphone and turn on your video.
- Community members who complete and submit a Public Comment Request Form by 3:00 pm on the day of a Council meeting will be called on by the Zoom host.
If you are attending in person and wish to address the Council, please fill out a “Request for Appearance” form and hand it to the City Clerk before you address the City Council. The forms and copies of the Council Agenda are located just outside the front door of the Council Chambers immediately prior to each meeting.
Public Comment Guidelines
- Comments are to be no longer than two-and-a-half minutes (2 1/2).
- Up to 35 minutes will be provided for “Public Comment” near the start of each City Council regular meeting and up to 15 minutes for study sessions. If additional time is needed for “Public Comment,” it may be provided after the City Council has finished all of its regular agenda items. Councilmembers will listen to your comments and may ask staff to research and report back on the issue, but are unlikely to respond during the meeting.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to aid the Council in maintaining the decorum and orderly progression of the Council agenda. Engaging in personal attacks, use of profanity, disruptive noise, or comments that are off-topic detract from the ability of the Council to conduct business and are discouraged.
- The City Council is a policy making body. Therefore, members cannot take action or investigate employee issues. Employee matters are the sole responsibility of the City Manager. If you have a complaint about City staff, please contact the City Manager prior to a Council meeting.
Preferred Ways to Provide Public Comment to the Council
- Email the Council (preferred) at email@example.com
- Send comments by postal mail to the Council at 129 N. 2nd Street, Yakima, WA 98901
- Call 509-575-6050 (during business hours)
Other Ways to Watch Council Meetings
- All Council meetings are telecast live on Y-PAC, Spectrum Cable channel 194
- All Council meetings are live streamed at https://www.yakimawa.gov/council/live-stream/
- All Council meetings are replayed multiple times on Y-PAC, Spectrum Cable channel 194