Activities for the Stormwater Management Division include:
- Meeting the requirements of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II Permit program (stormwater portion of the Clean Water Act).
- Establishing Inter-local Agreements for surface water management.
- Public involvement/education.
- Developing a stormwater Design Manual for hydraulic analysis, design methods, and stormwater treatment.
- Stormwater drainage plan review and comments for development proposals.
- Internal and external technical assistance for stormwater hydrology/hydraulics, and water quality.
- Investigating and eliminating illicit discharges i.e. sewage or grease in storm drains.
- Acquisition of Grants.
For further information, please see:
To report a potential illegal discharge to the stormwater drain system – (509) 575-6077
City of Yakima SWMP 5-2023 – the City of Yakima has updated the Stormwater Management Plan for 2023. If you have questions please contact Randy Meloy, Surface Water Engineer, at 509 576-6606.
Illegal Discharges into the Storm Drain System
Stormwater Assessment Fees
Restaurant Best Management Practices for handling Fats, Oils and Grease
Restaurante Mejores Prácticas de Manejo para manejar las Grasas, Aceites y Grasas
Aguas Grises (aguas pluviales)
Regional Stormwater Management Program
2013 Stormwater Collection System Master Plan – To be posted upon Council approval
Joint Probability and Levee InteriorDrainage – Draft 2 (50mb pdf)
Municipal Code 7.80 Storm Drainage and Surface Water Management Utility
Municipal Code 7.82 Construction Stormwater Runoff
Municipal Code 7.83 Post-Construction Stormwater Runoff
Municipal Code 7.85 Stormwater Illicit Discharge
- Do you have a dry well or other subsurface fluid distribution system on your property? If the answer is yes then you must register each of these Underground Injection Control (UIC) wells with the Department of Ecology.