Plan Submittal & Review

A completed and signed application along with two sets of plans can be mailed or submitted at the Permits Counter on the 2nd floor of City Hall.

Alternately, plans may be submitted through our Online Permit Center. Please view full instructions here.

You may pay online after we have received and logged in your application/permit (view instructions on how to pay online). Payment is also accepted in-person at the Permits Counter on the 2nd floor of City Hall. If mailing a check, please reference the permit number(s), make it payable to “City of Yakima,” and mail it to City of Yakima Code Administration, 129 N 2nd St, Yakima, WA 98901.

Online Permit Center

What can I do online on the portal?

  • Pay Permit/Application Fees (view instructions)
  • Request Inspections
  • Apply for and obtain permits that do NOT require plan review:
    • Commercial/Residential Plumbing and Mechanical (change out same-for-same only)
    • Residential Reroof (tear off and reroof only)
    • Commercial/Residential Water and Sewer line replacements (for a new water or sewer connection, please contact us directly)
    • Residential Oil Tank Abandonments and Removals
    • Residential Re-Siding
    • Gas Piping Pressure Test
    • Woodstove or Other Wood-Burning Device

Can I apply for a building permit, fire permit, or other type of permit online that DOES require plan review?

YES! We have a Digital Plan Submittal and Review Process that walks you through how to submit the application and plans digitally. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions. Please note that building permits, fire permits, sign permits, etc. do NOT show up on the portal as an option to apply for – you must instead follow the steps in the Digital Plan Submittal and Review process.

Permits from the Code Administration Office


Other Permit Applications (alphabetical order):

Address Change Request

Banner Permit Application

  • Pursuant to YMC 8.30, the purpose of street banners is to allow for the display of public service messages and event announcements promoting events taking place within the city of Yakima city limits, in authorized locations. Applications to hang a street banner or vertical banner shall be accepted only from licensed installers on behalf of qualified applicants. Permit applications, along with applicable fees, must be submitted at least thirty days in advance of installation.

Communications Tower (New or Alterations)

  • Complete the standard building permit application above. Please submit with the application a set of plans and any supplemental documentation (such as a structural or antenna mount analysis report) stamped by a licensed engineer.

Demolition Permit

Electrical Permits

  • Please contact the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries at (509) 454-3760 or at

Fire Code Permit Applications

Mechanical Permit Application

  • Permit fees are based on the valuation/estimated cost of the work to be performed (materials and labor).
  • Gas Piping – If installing gas piping, a gas piping schematic is required to be submitted which shows the size and length of the gas piping from the meter to the appliance(s) and BTU’s of the appliance(s). If adding onto existing gas piping all existing piping sizes, distances and size of existing appliances must be shown.
  • A mechanical permit is required for residential oil tank abandonment and removals. A site plan must be submitted showing the subject property, the size of the tank to be abandoned or removed, and the location of the tank in relation to property lines and other structures on the lot. Please see our Residential Oil Tank Abandonment requirements. You can apply for and obtain this permit online.

Noise Permit Application

  • The Code Administration may grant a permit to make noise or perform acts otherwise controlled or prohibited by YMC 6.04.180.

Plumbing Permit Application

  • Permit fees are based on the valuation/estimated cost of the work to be performed (materials and labor).
  • For changing out fixtures same-for-same, you can apply and obtain the plumbing permit online on the Online Permit Center. Otherwise, plans are required for review and approval prior to permit issuance.
  • Medical gas systems – Before any medical gas or medical vacuum system is installed or altered, a plumbing permit application with plans and specifications prepared, sealed, and signed by a mechanical engineer licensed to practice in the State of Washington shall be submitted to the Building Division.

Right of Way Use Permit Application

  • For private use of the public right of way pursuant to Yakima Municipal Code Chapter 8.20, including but not limited to: long-term residential or business/commercial use of the right of way; sidewalk signs; community crosswalk painting/markings; signs projecting over the right of way; and short-term permits for temporary placement of dumpster(s), container-type storage units, materials for landscaping projects, temporary right of way closure for construction-related projects.

Sample Port Application Packet

Sign Permit Application

  • A set of plans is required. A site plan is required for all pole sign applications. In addition to a City of Yakima General Business License, a Sign Company License is required pursuant to YMC 11.08 for sign companies who erect, remove, and service or maintains signs within the City of Yakima. For billboard signs please review the City of Yakima Sign Code online or contact our office at 509-575-6126 before submitting an application.

Stormwater Permit Application – *Large Project*

  • If your project clears or grades one acre or more this permit type is required. More information can be found on the Stormwater website.
  • Complete a Stormwater Maintenance Agreement if your stormwater facilities are private and will be privately maintained. Projects with stormwater facilities that will be maintained by the City of Yakima do not have to complete the maintenance agreement. This is a requirement for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy.

Stormwater Permit Application

  • For projects that involve the development/ re-development of more than 5,000 square feet of new and/or hard surface area and involve less than the clearing/grading of 1-acre or more and is not part of a larger common plan of development.

Street Break/Excavation Permit

Temporary Use Permits YMC 5.98

  • The administrative official may authorize special short-term temporary uses including, but not limited to, public assemblies, special exhibitions, community activities, and public sales. Authorized temporary uses, regardless of land use classification, may occur in any zoning district for up to seventy-two consecutive hours. Any temporary use that is to be held in whole or in part upon publicly owned property or public rights-of-way, or if held wholly upon private property, will nevertheless affect or impact the ordinary and normal use by the general public of public property or public rights-of-way within the vicinity of such event, may be a “Special Event” subject to the provisions of YMC Chapter 9.70, see the regulations in the Special Event and Parade Permit Guidelines.

Water and/or Wastewater Connection – Permit Application and Cost Request