ATTENTION: CORONAVIRUS PRECAUTIONS
Current Services Being Provided During COVID-19
The Code Administration Division of the City of Yakima is responsible for issuing permits for: building, plumbing, mechanical, fire code, water connections (for connection to the City of Yakima domestic water line), wastewater (sewer) connection, signs, street breaks, noise, banner (for specific locations across Yakima Avenue and 1st Street), and right of way use permits.
Our Online Permit Center allows you to apply for and obtain the following permits:
- Commercial/Residential Mechanical (excluding gas appliances and piping)
- Commercial/Residential Plumbing (applications only accepted online)
- Commercial/Residential Reroof (tear off and reroof only)
- Commercial/Residential Water and Sewer line replacements
- Residential oil tank abandonments and removals
Additionally, the Online Permit Center allows you to:
- Check on the status of your permit application
- Request inspections and review inspection activity results
- Inspection Scheduling Hotline (509) 576-6682
- Pay online for any other permits/applications
- Upload site plans and/or other submittal documentation for land use reviews
Permits from the Code Administration Office
Building Permit Application – for new construction, remodels, residential or commercial projects.
New Construction – submit a building permit application, plumbing and mechanical (if applicable), two sets of construction plans (you will receive one stamped, approved set back) to include: site plan, floor plan, elevations, wall details, truss engineering, floor engineering, and WSEC worksheets, and gas piping schematic (if applicable).
Remodels – submit a building permit application, plumbing and mechanical (if applicable), two sets of construction plans (you will receive one stamped, approved set back) to include: existing and proposed floor plans, wall details, and the following if applicable, truss engineering, floor engineering, and WSEC worksheets, and gas piping schematic (if applicable).
- For Commercial projects – if you plan to modify the plumbing please submit an existing and proposed fixture count, and please indicate if the toilets are tank type, or flush valve type.
- Compliance with land use development standards may also be required. Visit the Planning Division webpage for more information.
Handouts and Applications:
- 2018 IRC Residential Stair Code Requirements (IRC R311.7)
- 2018 IBC Accessible Parking Stall Requirements
- Change of Occupancy Application Packet
- Commercial Energy Forms
- Commercial New / Alteration Application Packet
- Demolition Permit Procedure
- Design Criteria
- Egress Window Information Sheet (IRC R310)
- Grading Permit Application Packet
- Manufactured Home Application Packet
- New Single Family Residence or Duplex Application
- Residential Alteration Application Packet
- Residential Energy Forms
- Residential Garage Construction Packet
- Residential Patio Cover or Carport Construction Packet
- Residential Solar Photovoltaic Application Packet
- Swimming Pool Application Packet
Plumbing Permit Application: Plumbing permit fees are based on the number and type of fixtures installed, moved, or replaced. You can also apply for and obtain most plumbing permits at the Online Permit Center. Commercial plumbing permits will require review prior to permit issuance; however, you may make application online.
Sample Port Application Packet: Occupancies that discharge strong waste to the City of Yakima Wastewater Treatment Plant will require the installation of a sampling port (manhole) on the side sewer in accordance with Chapter 7.65 of the Yakima Municipal Code. If a sample port is required, please submit a site plan indicating the proposed location of the sample port and you must indicate which City sample port standard detail you plan to install. Questions regarding sampling port requirements may be directed to the Wastewater Division, Pretreatment Supervisor at (509) 249-6816. More information regarding the Pretreatment Program is available on their website.
Commercial and Residential Side Sewers: If you will tap the public sewer main we ask that you schedule an inspection with our office so we can verify that the tap is cut in such a way that leaves a smooth hole such as with a hole or core saw. Hammer taps will not be approved. Our inspectors will want to see the cored plug results from a core drilling. Also, the person tapping the sewer main must possess a City of Yakima Side Sewer Installer’s license.
Commercial Side Sewer – submit two copies of a detailed plan of your proposed side sewer line (including your method for connection to the public main, sample ports, and cleanouts, if applicable, for review and approval prior to permit issuance.
New Water or Wastewater Connections: Connection fees are required for new connections and will be determined during the building plan review process for new construction. Water connection fees will need to be paid prior to building permit issuance, pursuant to YMC 7.56.080. Wastewater connection fees are due prior to connection. For change of uses, remodels, and additions, additional water and wastewater connection fees may be required. You may contact our office to inquire as to if additional connection fees will be required, . For side sewer stub locations you may contact Utility Project Manager Dana Kallevig at (509) 249-6813 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mechanical Permit Application: Mechanical permit fees are based on the number and type of appliances and venting installed, moved or replaced. You can also apply for and obtain most mechanical permits at the Online Permit Center. The City of Yakima does not require a gas piping schematic as part of the permit application for single-family residential, duplexes or townhouses. Gas piping schematics are required for anything that is regulated by the International Building Code. The schematic will need to show the size and length of the gas piping from the meter to the appliance(s) and BTU’s of the appliance(s). If you are adding onto existing gas piping all existing piping sizes, distances and size of existing appliances must be shown. A mechanical permit is required for residential oil tank abandonment and removals. Please see our Residential Oil Tank Abandonment requirements.
Fire Code Permit Application: Fire Code permits are required for all installations, additions, and alterations to any fire alarm or fire sprinkler system. Two complete sets of plans and specifications are required to be submitted and approved prior to permit issuance. A fire code permit is also required for firework displays, and commercial tents and canopies. Note: Fire alarm plans must bear engineer’s stamp or NICET III Certification.
- Fireworks Display Permit Application – YMC Section 10.15
- Fire Plan Review and Permit Fees
- Tents and Canopies Application Packet
- Underground Storage Tank Removal – Fire Permit Application & Checklist
- Fire Sprinkler Permit Application
- Fire Permit Alarm Application
- Fire Suppression Permit Application
Sign Permit Application: Two sets of plans are required for sign permits. A site plan is required for all pole sign applications. In addition to a City of Yakima General Business License, a Sign Company License is required pursuant to YMC 11.08 for sign companies who erect, remove, and service or maintains signs within the City of Yakima. For billboard signs please review the City of Yakima Sign Code online or contact our office at 575-6126 before submitting an application.
Banner Permit Application: Pursuant to YMC 8.30, the purpose of street banners is to allow for the display of public service messages and event announcements promoting events taking place within the city of Yakima city limits, in authorized locations. Applications to hang a street banner or vertical banner shall be accepted only from licensed installers on behalf of qualified applicants. Permit applications, along with applicable fees, must be submitted at least thirty days in advance of installation.
Excavation-Permit-Street-Break-: An excavation permit is required for projects in the public right of way. Insurance, bonding, and permit fees are required for this permit. Contact the Engineering Division at (509) 575-6111 with any questions regarding this process.
Right of Way Use Permit Application – for private use of the public right of way pursuant to Yakima Municipal Code Chapter 8.20, including but not limited to: short-term permits for temporary placement of dumpster(s), container-type storage units, materials for landscaping projects, temporary right of way closure for construction-related projects; long-term residential or business/commercial use of the right of way; sidewalk signs; signs projecting over the right of way; or small wireless facilities.
- Complete a Stormwater Maintenance Agreement if your stormwater facilities are private and will be privately maintained. Projects with stormwater facilities that will be maintained by the City of Yakima do not have to complete the maintenance agreement. This is a requirement for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy.
Stormwater Permit Application – For projects that involve the development/ re-development of more than 5,000 square feet of new and/or hard surface area and involve less than the clearing/grading of 1-acre or more and is not part of a larger common plan of development.
Temporary Use Permits YMC 5.98: The administrative official may authorize special short-term temporary uses including, but not limited to, public assemblies, special exhibitions, community activities, and public sales. Authorized temporary uses, regardless of land use classification, may occur in any zoning district for up to seventy-two consecutive hours. Any temporary use that is to be held in whole or in part upon publicly owned property or public rights-of-way, or if held wholly upon private property, will nevertheless affect or impact the ordinary and normal use by the general public of public property or public rights-of-way within the vicinity of such event, may be a “Special Event” subject to the provisions of YMC Chapter 9.70, see the regulations for a “Parade and Special Event Permit” below.
Special Event and Parade Application: Per YMC 9.70, “special event” means any fair, show, parade, run/walk, festival, or other publicly attended entertainment or celebration which is to be held in whole or in part upon publicly owned property or public rights-of-way, or if held wholly upon private property, will nevertheless affect or impact the ordinary and normal use by the general public of public property or public rights-of-way within the vicinity of such event. Please use the Special Event and Parade Guidelines document to help guide you through this application process. If you have any questions, please contact Community Development Specialist Colleda Monick at (509) 576-6772.
- Block Party Application *NEW* – If you are requesting to close part of a street for the purpose of hosting an event for you and your neighbors, please use this application instead.
Electrical Permits: Please contact the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries at (509) 454-3760 or at www.lni.wa.gov.