UPCOMING CHANGES TO FEES & APPLICATION PROCESSING
DIGITAL PLAN SUBMITTAL AND REVIEW
Online Permit Center
What can I do online on the portal?
- Pay Permit/Application Fees (view instructions)
- Request Inspections
- Apply for and obtain permits that do NOT require plan review:
- Commercial/Residential Mechanical (change out same-for-same only)
- Commercial/Residential Plumbing (change out same-for-same only)
- Residential Reroof (tear off and reroof only)
- Commercial/Residential Water and Sewer line replacements (for a new water or sewer connection, please contact us directly)
- Residential Oil Tank Abandonments and Removals
- Residential Re-Siding
- Gas Piping Pressure Test
- Woodstove or Other Wood-Burning Device
Can I apply for a building permit, fire permit, or other type of permit online that DOES require plan review?
YES! We have a Digital Plan Submittal and Review Process that walks you through how to submit the application and plans digitally. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions. Please note that building permits, fire permits, sign permits, etc. do NOT show up on the portal as an option to apply for – you must instead follow the steps in the Digital Plan Submittal and Review process.
Permits from the Code Administration Office
Building Permit Application – for new construction, remodels, residential or commercial projects.
- New Construction – submit a building permit application, plumbing and mechanical (if applicable), two sets of construction plans (you will receive one stamped, approved set back) to include: site plan, floor plan, elevations, wall details, truss engineering, floor engineering, and WSEC worksheets, and gas piping schematic (if applicable).
- Remodels – submit a building permit application, plumbing and mechanical (if applicable), two sets of construction plans (you will receive one stamped, approved set back) to include: existing and proposed floor plans, wall details, and the following if applicable, truss engineering, floor engineering, and WSEC worksheets, and gas piping schematic (if applicable).
- For Commercial projects – if you plan to modify the plumbing please submit an existing and proposed fixture count, and please indicate if the toilets are tank type, or flush valve type.
- Compliance with land use development standards may also be required. Visit the Planning Division webpage for more information.
Other Building Permit Applications:
- Change of Occupancy Application Packet
- Commercial New / Alteration Application Packet
- Demolition Application Packet
- Grading Permit Application Packet
- Manufactured Home Application Packet
- New Single Family Residence or Duplex Application Packet
- Parking Lot Permit Application Packet
- Residential Addition or Alteration Application Packet
- Residential Garage Application Packet
- Residential Patio Cover or Carport Application Packet
- Residential Solar Photovoltaic Application Packet
- Swimming Pool Application Packet
- 2018 IRC Residential Stair Code Requirements (IRC R311.7)
- 2018 IBC Accessible Parking Stall Requirements
- Commercial Energy Forms
- Design Criteria
- Egress Window Information Sheet (IRC R310)
- Residential Energy Forms
Other Code Administration Permit Applications
***IMPORTANT: click the banner to expand each section to view other relevant permit applications and additional information***
Banner Permit Application (click the banner to expand)
Pursuant to YMC 8.30, the purpose of street banners is to allow for the display of public service messages and event announcements promoting events taking place within the city of Yakima city limits, in authorized locations. Applications to hang a street banner or vertical banner shall be accepted only from licensed installers on behalf of qualified applicants. Permit applications, along with applicable fees, must be submitted at least thirty days in advance of installation.
Communications Tower (New or Alterations) (click the banner to expand)
Complete the standard building permit application above. Please submit with the application a set of plans and any supplemental documentation (such as a structural or antenna mount analysis report) stamped by a licensed engineer. Two hardcopies are required if submitting by mail or in person, or you may submit digitally.
Fire Code Permit Applications (click the banner to expand)
Fire Code permits are required for all installations, additions, and alterations to any fire alarm or fire sprinkler system. Two complete sets of plans and specifications are required to be submitted and approved prior to permit issuance or you may submit digitally. A fire code permit is also required for firework displays, and commercial tents and canopies. Note: Fire alarm plans, automatic fire sprinkler plans, and fire line plans must bear NICET III certification number and name of designer, or professional engineer’s stamp. For fire alarms, an ESA/NTS can substitute in place of a NICET III.
- Fireworks Display Permit Application – YMC Section 10.15
- Tents and Canopies Application Packet
- Underground Storage Tank Removal or Abandonment- Fire Permit Application & Checklist
- Fire Sprinkler Permit Application
- Fire Alarm Permit Application
- Fire Suppression Permit Application
- Fire Permit – use for Fire Lines or other fire permit types that are not specified above.
Mechanical Permit Application (click the banner to expand)
Mechanical permit fees are based on the valuation/estimated cost of the work to be performed (materials and labor).
For changing out appliances same-for-same, you can apply and obtain the mechanical permit online on the Online Permit Center. Otherwise, plans are required for review and approval prior to permit issuance.
Gas Piping – The City of Yakima does not require a gas piping schematic as part of the permit application for single-family residential, duplexes or townhouses. Gas piping schematics are required for anything that is regulated by the International Building Code. The schematic will need to show the size and length of the gas piping from the meter to the appliance(s) and BTU’s of the appliance(s). If you are adding onto existing gas piping all existing piping sizes, distances and size of existing appliances must be shown.
A mechanical permit is required for residential oil tank abandonment and removals. A site plan must be submitted showing the subject property, the size of the tank to be abandoned or removed, and the location of the tank in relation to property lines and other structures on the lot. Please see our Residential Oil Tank Abandonment requirements. You can apply for and obtain this permit online.
Plumbing Permit Application (click the banner to expand)
Plumbing permit fees are based on the valuation/estimated cost of the work to be performed (materials and labor).
For changing out fixtures same-for-same, you can apply and obtain the plumbing permit online on the Online Permit Center. Otherwise, plans are required for review and approval prior to permit issuance.
Medical gas systems – Before any medical gas or medical vacuum system is installed or altered, a plumbing permit application with two (2) sets of plans and specifications prepared, sealed, and signed by a mechanical engineer licensed to practice in the State of Washington shall be submitted to the Building Division, or you may submit digitally.
Right of Way Use Permit Application (click the banner to expand)
for private use of the public right of way pursuant to Yakima Municipal Code Chapter 8.20, including but not limited to: long-term residential or business/commercial use of the right of way; sidewalk signs; community crosswalk painting/markings; signs projecting over the right of way; and short-term permits for temporary placement of dumpster(s), container-type storage units, materials for landscaping projects, temporary right of way closure for construction-related projects.
Sample Port Application Packet (click the banner to expand)
Occupancies that discharge strong waste to the City of Yakima Wastewater Treatment Plant will require the installation of a sampling port (manhole) on the side sewer in accordance with Chapter 7.65 of the Yakima Municipal Code. If a sample port is required, please submit a site plan indicating the proposed location of the sample port and you must indicate which City sample port standard detail you plan to install. Questions regarding sampling port requirements may be directed to the Wastewater Division, Pretreatment Supervisor at (509) 249-6816. More information regarding the Pretreatment Program is available on their website.
Commercial and Residential Side Sewers: If you will tap the public sewer main we ask that you schedule an inspection with our office so we can verify that the tap is cut in such a way that leaves a smooth hole such as with a hole or core saw. Hammer taps will not be approved. Our inspectors will want to see the cored plug results from a core drilling. Also, the person tapping the sewer main must possess a City of Yakima Side Sewer Installer’s license.
Commercial Side Sewer – submit two copies of a detailed plan of your proposed side sewer line (including your method for connection to the public main, sample ports, and cleanouts, if applicable) for review and approval prior to permit issuance.
New Water or Wastewater Connections: Connection fees are required for new connections and will be determined during the building plan review process for new construction. Water connection fees will need to be paid prior to building permit issuance, pursuant to YMC 7.56.080. Wastewater connection fees are due prior to connection. For change of uses, remodels, and additions, additional water and wastewater connection fees may be required. You may contact our office to inquire as to if additional connection fees will be required, . For side sewer stub locations you may contact Utility Project Manager Dana Kallevig at (509) 249-6813 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign Permit Application (click the banner to expand)
Two sets of plans are required for sign permits or you may submit digitally. A site plan is required for all pole sign applications. In addition to a City of Yakima General Business License, a Sign Company License is required pursuant to YMC 11.08 for sign companies who erect, remove, and service or maintains signs within the City of Yakima. For billboard signs please review the City of Yakima Sign Code online or contact our office at 509-575-6126 before submitting an application.
Stormwater Permit Application – *Large Project* (click the banner to expand)
If your project clears or grades one acre or more this permit type is required. More information can be found on the Stormwater website.
- Complete a Stormwater Maintenance Agreement if your stormwater facilities are private and will be privately maintained. Projects with stormwater facilities that will be maintained by the City of Yakima do not have to complete the maintenance agreement. This is a requirement for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy.
Stormwater Permit Application (click the banner to expand)
For projects that involve the development/ re-development of more than 5,000 square feet of new and/or hard surface area and involve less than the clearing/grading of 1-acre or more and is not part of a larger common plan of development.
Street Break/Excavation Permit (click the banner to expand)
A street break/excavation permit is required for projects in the public right of way. Insurance, bonding, and permit fees are required for this permit. Contact the Engineering Division at (509) 575-6111 or email@example.com with any questions regarding this process.
Temporary Use Permits YMC 5.98 (click the banner to expand)
The administrative official may authorize special short-term temporary uses including, but not limited to, public assemblies, special exhibitions, community activities, and public sales. Authorized temporary uses, regardless of land use classification, may occur in any zoning district for up to seventy-two consecutive hours. Any temporary use that is to be held in whole or in part upon publicly owned property or public rights-of-way, or if held wholly upon private property, will nevertheless affect or impact the ordinary and normal use by the general public of public property or public rights-of-way within the vicinity of such event, may be a “Special Event” subject to the provisions of YMC Chapter 9.70, see the regulations in the Special Event and Parade Permit Guidelines.