Offices of Code Administration
Proposal to Adopt the 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
In the interest of public health and safety, on February 2, 2021, the City of Yakima Codes Division is requesting that the City Council adopt the 2018 International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) including amendments (local changes to that code), and at the same time to repeal our current property maintenance codes: Yakima Municipal Code (YMC) Chapters 11.07 (Building Conservation Code); 11.10 (Neighborhood Conservation Code); 11.13 (Apartment House and Hotel Safety Code); 11.20 (1991 Uniform Housing Code); 11.46 (1991 Uniform Code of the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings); 11.48 (Vacant Building Code); and 11.56 (Building Security).
Some of these codes are redundant (overlapping each other), and each has unique procedures to follow, as well as differing penalties among them. The IPMC covers all the issues found in those codes, but has a single procedure and a single penalty structure to follow. The result will be a clearer, simpler code for both city staff and city residents. The IPMC has been adopted by Yakima County, Union Gap and Selah, and is utilized by many jurisdictions across the State of Washington and beyond.
Please view these documents and submit any comments you may have regarding this proposal below. We appreciate your input!
- Proposed Ordinance
- PowerPoint Presentation for February 2, 2021 City Council meeting
- 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
The City of Yakima has partnered with the Washington State Department of Revenue, Business Licensing Service (BLS) for the administration of City business license applications and renewals. The City will continue to process and administer regulatory license applications and renewals. Visit our Business License page for City of Yakima licensing information.
Visit our Code Compliance page to find out more about the kind of neighborhood nuisances that our office addresses, and how to report a violation.
Online Permit Center
To schedule an inspection, please call the Inspection Scheduling Hotline at (509) 576-6682 or visit our Online Permit Center.
Visit our Permits page for your additional permit information.
Mission Statement – Code Administration Division
The mission of the Code Administration Division is to provide exceptional service to the citizens of the City of Yakima relating to building construction, fire and life safety and land issues.
Our goals for the accomplishment of this mission are as follows:
- Provide customer service in a timely, courteous and efficient manner.
- Inform the public of various code requirements, by coordinating our efforts with other departments and divisions to insure prompt, accurate and consistent standards are met.
- Enforce all laws, rules and regulation relative to zoning, housing ,building, mechanical, plumbing, sign, fire prevention, life safety, construction codes and ordinances.
- Provide staff assistance and counsel to the Board of Appeals
- Perform other duties as may be directed by law and/or the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- To compile and maintain statistical information as they relate to City Licenses and Permits issued.
- To maintain and continue the technical and professional skills our staff has.
- To insure that the information relayed to the public is accurate and consistent with the codes administered within Washington State.