The U visa/T visa is a immigration benefit that can be sought by victims of certain crimes who are currently assisting or have previously assisted law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of a crime, or who are likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. The U visa provides eligible victims with nonimmigrant status in order to temporarily remain in the United States while assisting law enforcement. If certain conditions are met, an individual with U nonimmigrant status may adjust to lawful permanent resident status.

If an individual believes he or she may qualify for a U visa/T visa, then that individual or his or her representative will complete the USCIS Form I-918, Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-918), and submit it to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with all relevant documentation, including Form I-918B, the U visa law enforcement certification. Given the complexity of U visa petitions, petitioners often work with a legal representative or victim advocate. For more information, please visit the Department of Commerce Safety and Access for Immigrant Victims Program – WA State Department of Commerce.

What is a U visa/T visa Certification and Which Agencies Can Certify?USCIS Form I-918, Supplement B or USCIS Form I-914, Supplement B is the U visa/T visa certification document that a law enforcement agency can complete for a victim who is petitioning USCIS for a U visa or T visa.  Form I-918B or Form I-914B is a required piece of evidence to confirm to USCIS that a qualifying crime has occurred and that the victim was helpful, is being helpful, or is likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. Form I-918B or Form I-914B and its instructions are available on the USCIS website at with the Form I-918 for the U visa and Form 914 for the T visa.

In order to be eligible for a U visa/T visa, the victim must submit a law enforcement certification completed by a certifying agency. Certifying agencies include all authorities responsible for the investigation, prosecution, conviction or sentencing of the qualifying criminal activity.

Where Do I Send My Request For a U visa/T visa Certification?  Completed Nonimmigrant Status Certification Form and any relevant documentation should be sent to:

Cynthia I. Martinez, Certifying Official

City of Yakima Legal Department

200 South Third Street, 2nd Floor

Yakima, WA 98901

OR via email to: City.Prosecutor@YAKIMAWA.GOV

The form will be processed within 60 days of receipt. If you need the form processed sooner because the victim is in federal immigration removal proceedings or other pressing reasons, please note this clearly in the packet. If you have questions regarding the status of your form, please contact Cynthia Martinez at 509-575-6030.