FAQ’s TNC Drivers
Frequently Asked Questions – TNC Drivers
Transportation Network Companies, and their drivers, are regulated under Yakima Municipal Code Chapter YMC 5.79.
Do I need a business license if I want to drive for UBER, Lyft, or any other Transportation Network Companies (TNC)?
Yes, companies like UBER and Lyft are considered Transportation Network Companies. They need a license to operate, and each driver must also have a current and valid Yakima business license. You must apply for your business license online through the Washington State Department of Revenue.
Transportation Network Companies also are required to obtain a unique business license to operate in the City of Yakima.
Do I need a Washington State Business License?
You will need a valid Washington State Business License which includes a UBI (Unified Business Identifier) number through the Washington State Department of Revenue. You can obtain one at the Washington State Department of Revenue.
What kind of requirements does the City of Yakima have for Transportation Network Company drivers?
- Drivers must be at least 21 years old
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license for at least one year prior to issuance of business license or another acceptable alternative subject to review and approval
- Proof of motor vehicle registration and proof of current in-state automobile liability insurance
- TNC drivers shall not have been convicted or found to have committed either: 1) any one infraction for negligent driving or 2) three or more moving violations during any twelve-month period during the three years prior to operating as a TNC driver in Yakima
- Drivers must not have any known physical or mental infirmity which would jeopardize their ability to safely operate as a driver transporting other people
- Vehicle must not be older than 10 years old
- Subject to vehicle inspections
- Follow all operational requirements found in Yakima Municipal Code Section 5.79.100.
How much does a City of Yakima Business License cost?
A City of Yakima Business License costs $42.90 per driver and is valid for one year, and must be renewed with payment each year.
What about driving for UberEats?
UberEats drivers must obtain a valid City of Yakima business license, which also requires a Washington State Business License as detailed above. UberEats drivers must comply with all rules and regulations required from UberEats regarding their service.
Who should I contact with questions?
If you have questions, please contact Glenn Denman, Code Administration Manager at (509) 575-6268.