FAQ’s TNC Drivers
Frequently Asked Questions – TNC Drivers
Transportation Network Companies, and their drivers, are regulated under Yakima Municipal Code Chapter YMC 5.79.
Do I need a business license if I want to drive for UBER, Lyft, or any other Transportation Network Companies (TNC)?
Yes, companies like UBER and Lyft are considered Transportation Network Companies. They need a license to operate, and each driver must also have a current and valid Yakima business license. You can find the business license application here. All licenses must be obtained in person during business hours at Yakima City Hall, 2nd Floor, 129 N 2nd Street, Yakima, WA.
Transportation Network Companies also are required to obtain a unique business license to operate in the City of Yakima.
Do I need a Washington State Business License?
You will need a valid Washington State Business License which includes a UBI (Unified Business Identifier) number through the Washington State Department of Revenue. You can obtain one at the Washington State Department of Revenue or by visiting the local office at 3703 River Road #3, Yakima, WA 98902. You must obtain this before requesting a City of Yakima business license.
What kind of requirements does the City of Yakima have for Transportation Network Company drivers?
- Drivers must be at least 21 years old
- Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license for at least one year prior to issuance of business license or another acceptable alternative subject to review and approval
- Proof of motor vehicle registration and proof of current in-state automobile liability insurance
- TNC drivers shall not have been convicted or found to have committed either: 1) any one infraction for negligent driving or 2) three or more moving violations during any twelve-month period during the three years prior to operating as a TNC driver in Yakima
- Drivers must not have any known physical or mental infirmity which would jeopardize their ability to safely operate as a driver transporting other people
- Vehicle must not be older than 10 years old
- Subject to vehicle inspections
- Follow all operational requirements found in Yakima Municipal Code Section 5.79.100.
How much does a City of Yakima Business License cost?
A City of Yakima Business License costs $42.90 per driver and licenses are valid January 1st through December 31st of each year. After June 30th the license fee is prorated to $21.45.
How long will it take for me to get my license?
Once a complete business license application is received and a valid UBI is provided, your business license will be issued on the same day it is received.
What about driving for UberEats?
UberEats drivers must obtain a valid City of Yakima business license, which also requires a Washington State Business License as detailed above. UberEats drivers must comply with all rules and regulations required from UberEats regarding their service.
Who should I contact with questions?
If you have questions, please contact Glenn Denman, Supervising Code Inspector at (509) 575-6268.