Housing Action Plan
The City of Yakima developed a Housing Action Plan to support and encourage new housing production to provide more housing choices and address local housing needs. This work took place throughout 2020 and early 2021. It considers the housing needs of current residents and workforce as well as projected future population growth. There are six primary objectives:
- A. Encourage diverse housing development within existing neighborhoods.
- B. Create and preserve affordable homes.
- C. Create homeownership opportunities for low- and moderate- income households.
- D. Support housing options that meet the diverse needs of older adults.
- E. Address the needs of those struggling with homelessness.
- F. Protect against displacement and poor housing conditions.
Keep Up To Date
- Resolution No. R-2021-083 approved by City Council on June 15, 2021
- Council Packet – Housing Action Plan (includes YPC Findings and YPC Draft Recommended Housing Action Plan)- distributed May 18, 2021 for Council public hearing on June 1, 2021
- Draft Yakima Housing Action Plan, released April 2021 for YPC review
- Notice of Application, Environmental Review, Public Hearing, and DNS issued April 8, 2021
- Draft Strategy Categorization, December 11, 2020
- Housing Action Plan Survey Results, December 9, 2020
- Housing Policy Framework Evaluation, released in October 2020 for public review
- Preliminary Housing Needs Assessment, released in April 2020 for public review
- Introduction Presentation to City Council on December 5, 2019
- Frequently Asked Questions
How to Participate
Public outreach and engagement was a critical part of this planning process. Due to the current stay-at-home precautions due to COVID-19, in-person community engagement opportunities were postponed until further notice. However, there were other ways to get engaged:
- View the City Council Public Hearing scheduled on June 15, 2021: https://videos.yakimawa.gov/CablecastPublicSite/show/11088?channel=2
- View the YPC Public Hearing scheduled on April 28, 2021: http://videos.yakimawa.gov/CablecastPublicSite/show/10974?channel=2
- Contact us at email@example.com or (509) 575-6183 to inquire about this project.
A preliminary project schedule is shown below. Uncertainty regarding the length of the “stay at home” restrictions to prevent the spread of Coronavirus could impact the timeline and some milestones. Once these restrictions are lifted, we will share more details about community engagement activities.