The City of Yakima’s Cowiche Canyon Trail project includes constructing a 10-foot wide graveled pedestrian pathway, with two bridges over Cowiche Creek from Powerhouse Road to the existing Cowiche Canyon Trailhead.
The trail will be approximately two miles long. Funding for the project comes from a $2 million “Connecting Washington” grant.
Click https://www.yakimawa.gov/media/cowiche-canyon-trail-project for more about the project.
Other details and project timeline include:
- The project will be completed in two phases, beginning with the downstream section.
- Phase 1 of the project is 30 percent designed, including a new 180-foot pedestrian bridge
- Challenging structural elements to the pedestrian bridge requires investigatory geotechnical drilling to begin in October 2020.
- Final design of Phase 1 is anticipated to be completed by the first quarter of 2021
- Construction is expected to begin in Spring 2021
- Work on the upstream section, Phase 2, will begin in 2021.
- The trail alignment is on the previous Burlington Northern-Santa Fe railroad right-of-way.
For more information contact the City of Yakima Engineering Division at 575-6111.