Volunteer Opportunities on City Boards and Commissions

The Yakima City Council is asking volunteers interested in serving on the Yakima Arts Commission, the Yakima Historic Preservation Commission, the Southeast Community Center Board, and the Yakima Housing Authority Board to submit applications to the City Clerk’s office.

The Arts Commission, Historic Preservation Commission, and Southeast Community Center Board each currently have one open position a piece.  The Housing Authority Board currently has two open positions.  It is the responsibility of the City Council to appoint people to serve on the governing bodies of those organizations.

There are no residency requirements for the current openings on the Arts Commission, whose members serve four-year terms.  There are also no residency requirements applicants have to meet in order to be eligible to serve a three-year term on the seven-member Historic Preservation Commission.  There are seven members of the Southeast Community Center Board, all of whom serve four-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits.

There is no residency requirement for service on the Housing Authority Board, but neither employees nor elected officials from the City of Yakima or YakimaCounty are eligible to apply.  The board has five members who serve five-year terms.

The Arts Commission holds monthly meetings and works to enhance the cultural and aesthetic quality of life in the City of Yakima by actively pursuing the placement of public art in public spaces and by actively seeking to expand public access to visual and performing arts.

The Historic Preservation Commission also meets monthly and provides for the identification, evaluation, designation, and protection of designated historic and prehistoric resources within the boundaries of the City of Yakima and preserves and rehabilitates eligible historic properties for future generations.

The SoutheastCommunity Center board, which meets quarterly, makes recommendations regarding management policies, operations, maintenance, and capital improvement needs related to the center.

The Housing Authority Board is responsible for developing and operating programs to provide housing for low-income people in the city.  The board holds a regular monthly meeting, but may also conduct additional meetings as needed.

Anyone interested in applying for any of the current openings can download an application from the City of Yakima website – https://www.yakimawa.gov/council/assets/BoardsCommissionsApplication.pdf – or can pick up an application at the City Clerk’s office at YakimaCity Hall.

For more information about current or future openings on City of Yakima boards, committees, or commissions, contact City Clerk Sonya Claar Tee by phone (575-6037) or by e-mail ( sonya.claartee@yakimawa.gov ).

– end –

Applicants Sought for Board and Commission Openings – News Release


City Clerk Sonya Claar Tee – 575-6037

Communications & Public Affairs Director Randy Beehler – 901-1142