Volunteer Opportunities on City Boards, Committees and Commissions

The Yakima City Council is seeking volunteers interested in serving on City of Yakima boards, committees, and commissions and is accepting applications through May 4th.

The Historic Preservation Commission has three openings and the Board of Appeals currently has one opening.  The following boards, committees, and commissions have term expirations in June and may have positions vacant:  Planning Commission (one position), Tree Board (two positions), Community Review Board (three positions), Henry Beauchamp Jr. Community Center (two positions) and Parks & Recreation Commission (one youth position).

It is the responsibility of the City Council to appoint people to serve on the governing bodies of those organizations.

There are seven members of the Historic Preservation Commission, all of whom serve four-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits. The commission meets monthly and provides for the identification, evaluation, designation, and protection of designated historic and prehistoric resources within the boundaries of the city of Yakima and preserves and rehabilitates eligible historic properties for future generations. The commission shall include at least three professionals who have experience in identifying, evaluating, and protecting historic resources and are selected from among the disciplines of history, architecture, architectural history, landscape architecture, historic preservation, planning, folklore, cultural anthropology, prehistoric and historic archaeology, American studies, curation, traditional building crafts, the practice of historic rehabilitation or restoration, finance and banking, law, real estate, or related disciplines.

There are seven members on the Board of Appeals who serve three-year terms. The Board of Appeals members are qualified by experience and training to evaluate appeals pertaining to building construction.  The board currently requires a mechanical contractor or a developer.

There are seven members of the Planning Commission, all of whom serve four-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits or own a business or real property within city limits. The Planning Commission meets twice monthly and works on long range planning issues within city limits.

The City of Yakima Tree Board consists of five members and applicants must live within Yakima city limits. People with experience related to trees and other plantings, specifically people with training as arborists, are encouraged to apply, although not all positions on the board require such experience.

There is no residency requirement for members of the Community Review Board, but the positions must represent different aspects of the public as a whole.  There may be a vacancy on the board for a rental community member and/or business community.  The board has seven members who serve three-year terms. The Community Review Board is responsible for conducting administrative hearings and rendering decisions based upon written findings and do all things necessary and proper to carry out and enforce Chapter 11.10 of the Yakima Municipal Code. The board holds meetings quarterly, but may also conduct additional meetings as needed.

There are seven members on the Henry Beauchamp, Jr. Community Center Advisory Board, all of whom serve four-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits. The Board holds quarterly meetings and makes recommendations to the center operator and the City regarding management policies, operations, maintenance, and capital improvement needs. The appointees are based upon the recommendation of the Board of Directors.

Youth members of the Parks and Recreation Commission must live within Yakima city limits and be between 16-22 years of age at the time of appointment in order to be eligible to serve a two-year term.  The Commission holds monthly meetings and advises the City Council and Parks and Recreation Manager concerning the formulation of policy, plans, and programs to maintain and operate City parks and carry out recreation programs.

Anyone interested in applying for openings can download an application from the City of Yakima website – https://www.yakimawa.gov/council/assets/Application-form-for-City-of-Yakima-Boards-and-Commissions.pdf – or can pick up an application at the City Clerk’s office at Yakima City Hall.

For more information about current or future openings on City of Yakima boards, committees, or commissions, contact City Clerk Sonya Claar Tee by phone (575-6037) or by e-mail


Applicants Sought for City Boards, Committees, and Commissions – News Release