Volunteer Opportunities on City Boards, Committees and Commissions

The Yakima City Council is seeking volunteers interested in serving on City of Yakima boards, committees, and commissions. The Arts Commission, Community Review Board, Planning Commission and Tree City USA Board each have one available position.  There is one vacant youth position each on the Parks and Recreation Commission and the Community Integration Committee. The Board of Appeals and Henry Beauchamp Advisory Committee currently have two available openings. It is the responsibility of the City Council to appoint people to serve on the governing bodies of those organizations.

Members of the Parks and Recreation Commission must live within Yakima city limits and youth members must be between 16-22 years of age at the time of appointment in order to be eligible to serve a two-year term.  Members advise the City Council and Manager of Parks and Recreation concerning the formulation of policy, plans and programs to maintain and operate City parks and carry out recreation programs.

There is one youth position available on the Community Integration Committee, which serves a two-year term and must live within Yakima city limits. Appointments shall be made to ensure that varied community perspectives are represented and, to the extent possible, reflect the current demographics of the City, including consideration of historically underrepresented communities.  The purpose and intent of the community integration committee is to advise the Yakima City Council on ways to improve community engagement; diversify the city government and workforce; provide additional review of policies, ordinances and resolutions if requested; and give a voice to all Yakima residents.

There is no residency requirement for the current opening on the Arts Commission, whose members serve four-year terms.  The available position on the commission needs to be filled by a community member and shall be from diverse backgrounds and shall have no vested interest in any particular art or cultural endeavor.

There is no residency requirement for members of the Community Review Board, but the positions must represent different aspects of the public as a whole.  Currently there is a vacancy on the board for a representative of the healthcare community.

There are seven members of the Planning Commission, all of whom serve four-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits or own a business or real property within city limits. The Planning Commission meets twice monthly and works on long range planning issues within city limits.

The Tree City USA Board consists of five members and must live within Yakima city limits. People with experience related to trees and other plantings, specifically people with training as arborists, are encouraged to apply, although not all positions on the board require such experience.

There are seven members on the Board of Appeals who serve three-year terms. The board currently requires a mechanical contractor or a developer to fill one of its vacancies.

There are seven members of the Henry Beauchamp Community Center Advisory Board, all of whom serve four-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits. The board holds quarterly meetings and makes recommendations to the center operator and the City regarding management policies, operations, maintenance, and capital improvement needs. The appointees are based upon the recommendation of the board of directors.

Additional information on the duties and responsibilities of each committee can be found at https://www.yakimawa.gov/council/boards-commissions/.  Anyone interested in applying for openings can download an application from the City of Yakima website – https://www.yakimawa.gov/council/assets/Application-form-for-City-of-Yakima-Boards-and-Commissions.pdf – or can pick up an application at the City Clerk’s office at Yakima City Hall.

For more information about current or future openings on City of Yakima boards, committees, or commissions, contact City Clerk Sonya Claar Tee by phone (575-6037) or by e-mail (sonya.claartee@yakimawa.gov).