Abating/cleaning 474 incidents of graffiti and clearing over 47 tons of garbage are some of the City of Yakima Clean City Program activities during the first three months of 2023.
The Yakima City Council received a report on the program in its agenda packet for the June 6th meeting. Click Coversheet (novusagenda.com) for the report, which covers Clean City activities for the first quarter of 2023.
The City of Yakima developed “Clean City” as a program in 2019. Its main objectives are:
- Address visual blight (trash, graffiti, dangerous building, abandoned vehicles, etc.)
- Address unscheduled collection of waste and litter from the City’s public areas/thoroughfares
- Expedite the clean-up of such illegal dumps
- Clean up homeless encampments
- Support Yakima Police Department officers in unlawful camping enforcement
- Provide coordination with neighborhoods for annual clean-up events
- Create educational components
- Engage with community partners and volunteers
Clean City, under the direction of the City’s Public Works Division, coordinates the efforts of several City departments and community partners. They include:
- City of Yakima Public Works:
Public Works Administration
Streets & Traffic Division
Parks & Recreation Division
- City of Yakima Codes Division
- City of Yakima Legal Department
- Yakima Police Department
Click https://www.yakimawa.gov/services/public-works/ for more about the City of Yakima Public Works Department.