Abating/cleaning 824 incidents of graffiti, clearing nearly 61 tons of garbage and removing 340 grocery carts are some of the City of Yakima Clean City program activities during the third quarter (July – Sept.) of 2021.
The Yakima City Council received a report on the program in its agenda packet for the November 16th meeting. Click Coversheet (novusagenda.com) for the report on Clean City activities during the third quarter of 2021.
The City of Yakima developed “Clean City” as a program in 2019. Its main objectives are:
- Address visual blight (trash, graffiti, dangerous building, abandoned vehicles, etc.)
- Address unscheduled collection of waste and litter from the City’s public areas/thoroughfares
- Expedite the clean-up of such illegal dumps
- Clean up homeless encampments
- Support Yakima Police Department officers in unlawful camping enforcement
- Provide coordination with neighborhoods for annual clean-up events
- Create educational components
- Engage with community partners and volunteers
Clean City, under the direction of the City’s Public Works Division, coordinates the efforts of several City departments and community partners. They include:
City of Yakima Public Works:
- Public Works Administration
- Refuse Division
- Streets & Traffic Division
- Parks & Recreation Division
City of Yakima Codes Division
City of Yakima Legal Department
Yakima Police Department
Click https://www.yakimawa.gov/services/public-works/ for more about the City of Yakima Public Works Division.