Volunteer Opportunities on City Boards and Commissions

The Yakima City Council is asking volunteers interested in serving on the City of Yakima Planning Commission, the Public Facilities Board, and as a youth member on the Parks and Recreation Commission to submit applications to the City Clerk’s office. The Planning Commission, the Public Facilities Board, and the Parks and Recreation Commission (youth member) each currently have one open position a piece.  It is the responsibility of the City Council to appoint people to serve on the governing bodies of those organizations.

Youth members of the Parks and Recreation Commission must live within Yakima city limits and be between 16-22 years of age at the time of appointment in order to be eligible to serve a two-year term.  There are seven members of the City of Yakima Planning Commission, all of whom serve six-year terms and must live within Yakima city limits or own a business or real property within city limits. There are no residency requirements for the current opening on the Public Facilities District Board, whose seven members serve four-year terms.  However, Facilities District Board members cannot be members of the Selah, Union Gap, or Yakima city councils at any time while serving on the Board.  Members should have knowledge and/or experience in tourism, convention, and/or related business, and members must be bondable.

The Planning Commission meets twice monthly and works on long range planning issues within city limits.

The Parks and Recreation Commission, which meets monthly, advises the City Council and Parks and Recreation Manager concerning the formulation of policy, plans, and programs to maintain and operate City parks and carry out recreation programs.

The Public Facilities District Board also meets monthly and governs the affairs of the Public Facilities District including approval of changes in the district’s bylaws, oversight of the general operation and structure of the district, interfacing with and advising the Yakima City Council, City Manager, and City Staff on operations of the District, and interfacing with hotel/motel owners and other convention and tourism related businesses within the District.

Anyone interested in applying for any of the current openings can download an application from the City of Yakima website – https://www.yakimawa.gov/council/assets/BCapplication.pdf – or can pick up an application at the City Clerk’s office at Yakima City Hall.

For more information about current or future openings on City of Yakima boards, committees, or commissions, contact City Clerk Sonya Claar Tee by phone (575-6037) or by e-mail (sonya.claartee@yakimawa.gov).

– end –

Applicants Sought for Board and Commission Openings – News Release


City Clerk Sonya Claar Tee – 575-6037

Communications & Public Affairs Director Randy Beehler – 901-1142