Local students are invited to drop by two City of Yakima parks to checkout games and sports equipment for free starting Monday, September 14th.
Between 3:15 pm and 6:00 pm Monday through Friday, Yakima Parks and Recreation staff will issue equipment such as board games, soccer balls, basketballs, ping pong and craft supplies at Kissel Park and Kiwanis Park for students to use at the parks.
A student ID is required for equipment checkout.
Social distancing protocols will be required. No more than five participants are allowed in each group checking out equipment, unless they are all from the same household.
The other protocols include:
- Wear a mask, except for children under age 2
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol and rub hands together until dry, if soap and water are not readily available.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- If you are sick with or tested positive for COVID-19, were recently exposed (within 14 days) to someone with COVID-19, or just don’t feel well, do not visit public areas including parks or recreational facilities.
- Maintain a distance of at least 6 feet away from people who are not in your household.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a disposable tissue, or cough and sneeze into the elbow rather than hands. Throw tissues away after use. Wash or sanitize hands after coughing or sneezing
Parks and Recreation staff will sterilize equipment/games after each use.
Kissel Park is located at South 32nd Avenue and Mead Avenue. Kiwanis Park is located at Fair Avenue and East Maple Avenue.
The equipment checkout program is possible because in August the Washington State Department of Health (DOH) approved small, outdoor gatherings of five people or less from outside the household, with six feet of separation, as part of Yakima County’s modified Phase 1 “Roadmap to Recovery” plan.
Visit https://yakimaparks.com for more about Yakima Parks and Recreation programs.